Sometimes a specific tip to prevent cancer recommended in one study is advised against in another. Often, what’s known about cancer prevention is still evolving. However, it’s well-accepted that your chances of developing cancer are affected by the lifestyle choices you make.
ALSO READ: Thyroid Cancer Facts Everyone Should Know
So if you’re interested in preventing cancer, take comfort in the fact that simple lifestyle changes can make a difference. Consider these cancer-prevention tips.
1. Exercise: Get at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise, or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise, each week.
2. Quit smoking: People who have never smoked or quit years ago have a much lower risk of cancer.
3. Maintain a healthy weight: Obesity is linked to a risk of endometrial, breast, uterine, and other cancers.
ALSO READ: 8 Cancer-Fighting Superfoods
4. Limit alcohol: Alcohol can raise your risk of breast, colon, and other types of cancer. Limit intake to no more than 1 drink a day for women, 2 for men.
5. Eat a healthy diet: A diet rich in fruits and veggies is linked to a lower risk of cancer. Aim for 5 to 9 servings each day.