Mouth ulcers commonly called canker sores are painful lesions in the mouth or at the base of the gums or on the inside of the cheeks or lips. It is the loss of the oral lining. There is nothing to worry about as they are not contagious. However, if these are not healed within the indicated period or are large and extremely painful, it is advisable to see a dentist. The pain can sometimes be such that it can make it difficult and uncomfortable to eat, speak, and drink.
Causes of mouth ulcers
- Bacterial or Fungal infections
- Stress can also be a reason and is most common in teens
- Intake of acidic food or drinks
- Hormonal changes
- Mouth rinses which contain sodium lauryl sulfate
- Lack of vitamins such as B-12, zinc, folate, and iron
- Biting the inside of your mouth
- Hormonal changes
- Weakened immune system
Simple home remedies work best in this regard. Here is a list of some home remedies that act as mouth ulcer cure and can also aid in preventing the disease all together.
- Rinse with salt water and baking soda
- Apply pain relief ointments like Orajel or Anbesol
- Eat popsicles
- Numb the sore with an ice cube or suck on ice
- Honey has antimicrobial properties and can aid in repairing any open wound quickly.
- Take equal amounts of baking soda and water. Mix them to create a thick paste. Apply this paste to the mouth ulcer and let it dry out. Once the mixture has dried, rinse your mouth with water and gargle as well. This should be done three times a day.
- Simply apply a bit of coconut oil to the surface of the ulcer and let it stay on. You can also apply it while going to sleep at night.
- Apply the toothpaste using a Q-tip. Leave the paste on for a few minutes before rinsing it off. You can keep applying the toothpaste each day until you see the whiteness disappear from the ulcer.
- A great cure for mouth ulcer is to drink two glasses of freshly squeezed orange juice every day.
- In case of mouth ulcers, take a small piece of cotton and apply the clove oil directly to the ulcer.
- Use coconut milk to gargle when you are suffering from mouth ulcers. This is one of the best cures for mouth ulcer.
- Take a bit of turmeric powder and some water. Mix to form a thick paste. Apply this paste on the ulcers every morning and evening. Leave it on for a few minutes and then rinse it off properly.
- To use garlic, cut a clove in half and dab it on the ulcer spot for a minute or two. After this is done, rinse your mouth properly to remove the raw garlic odour from your breath.
TYPES OF MOUTH ULCERS
These are small white patches with red borders. Being non-contagious the reason or cause is unknown but usually, trauma is the most common reason. They heal on their own with the time that might take a week and a half.
These appear in a cluster of red, raised blisters outside mouth especially lips. These are filled with fluid which can break making fluid to leak. Though they are highly contagious, yet they heal on their own in an about a week.
It is a yeast infection which appears inside the mouth on soft and moist tissue. It appears as a white patch with a red base. The cause of developing such sore is fungus and people with a weak immune system or people with poor health or diabetic patients are more prone to these sores.
These are tough white patches which appear anywhere in the mouth. Though these are not painful or contagious but can have more serious concerns. Therefore, it is advised to visit a Dental Professional in this case.