Soft, sweet stewed apples and crunchy muesli – wow, they are just made for each other! This wonderful Low Calorie Apple Crumble is made with healthy homemade muesli baked over a layer of cinnamon flavoured stewed apples. Walnuts, though a bit fatty, do more good than harm here as they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which keep the arteries healthy and elastic, strengthening the heart as well. An acceptable amount of brown sugar has been used to stew the apples, which cannot be done with a sugar substitute. However, this recipe still has considerably less fat and sugar than the traditional apple crumble, making it okay to enjoy this fibre-rich dessert as an occasional, portioned treat.
Preparation Time: Cooking Time: Baking Time: 15 minutes Baking Temperature: 180°C (360°F) Total Time: Makes 5 servings
For The Stewed Apples
2 cups sliced apples (unpeeled)
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 small sticks cinnamon (dalchini)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
For The Muesli
1/4 cup quick cooking rolled oats
1 tbsp wheat bran
2 tbsp chopped walnuts (akhrot)
1 tbsp chopped almonds (badam)
2 tbsp raisins (kismis)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (dalchini) powder
1/8 tsp vanilla essence
1/8 tsp low-fat butter for greasing
For the stewed apples
- Combine ½ cup of water, brown sugar, cinnamon sticks and lemon juice in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds or till the brown sugar dissolves completely.
- Add the apples, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes or till the apples turn soft, while stirring once in between.
- Discard the cinnamon and keep aside to cool slightly.
For the muesli
- Combine all the ingredients in a broad non-stick pan and lightly roast them on a slow flame for 2 minutes. Keep aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and keep aside to cool slightly.
How to proceed
- Grease a baking dish lightly using low-fat butter.
- Spread the stewed apples at the base of a baking dish and spread the muesli evenly over it.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c (400°f) for 10 minutes or till the muesli turns golden brown in colour.
- Serve immediately.
|Value per serving||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||2 mcg||0%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.1 mg||10%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.4 mg||3%|
|Vitamin C||0.9 mg||2%|
|Vitamin E||1 mg||7%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||10.4 mcg||5%|