Weak hair can take on many forms and is often noticeable to others. That said, weak hair can be a detriment to our fashion sense and self image. In some cases, it can even be an indicator of a medical concern. Not sure about your hair’s health and what to do about it? The pros at Matrix are here to give you a few tips on how to make weak hair stronger.
What Are The Causes Of Weak Hair?
1. Genetics :Your genes are the biggest influencing factor when it comes to the texture and strength of your hair. Whether you get thick and coarse hair or fine and silky hair, it depends on the genetic makeup of your hair, which is passed down from your parents. Hair disorders that influence the health of your hair also depend on your genetic predisposition.
2. Chemical Processing :Chemical processing, in the form of coloring or changing the structure of your hair, damages your cuticles and makes your hair weak. The cuticle is the outer layer of your hair, which acts as a barrier that protects the hair shaft. Once it is damaged, the hair becomes weak and porous. This can also lead to hair loss.
How To Make Hair Stronger Using Natural Treatments
Coconut Oil Massage
Your mom must have repeated the ‘coconut oil is good for hair’ mantra numerous times. Coconut oil is one of nature’s best ingredients for hauntingly lovely tresses. It has penetrative properties, making it better equipped to nourish your hair shaft with its fatty acids .
The massage will heal your damaged hair cuticles and make them softer, silkier, and stronger.
What You Need
• 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil
• Shower cap
1. Dampen your hair a little and massage the warm oil gently onto your scalp. Work your way down your hair to the tips until all of your hair is covered.
2. Cover your hair with a shower cap for 30 minutes and then rinse the oil out with shampoo.
Eggs Or Milk
Eggs and milk are both rich sources of protein. They nourish your hair, giving it substance and increasing its tensile strength.
What You Need
• 2-3 tablespoons of full-fat milk (depending on the length of your hair)
• 1-2 eggs (depending on the length of your hair)
1. Soak your hair in full-fat milk for around two to three hours. Alternatively, take an egg and whip it well. Apply it on your hair and leave it on for about two hours.
2. Rinse your hair thoroughly after the treatment. You do not need to use conditioner.
Onion Juice For Hair
Onion juice is renowned for its ability in dealing with hair loss and encouraging hair regrowth. Here is an easy recipe for an onion juice solution to make your hair stronger and deal with your hair fall woes. You can do this up to twice a week for healthy hair growth.
What You Need
• 1 onion
1. Peel the outer layers of the onion and wash it well.
2. Grate the onion using your grater, or toss it into the blender or juicer. Using your strainer, squeeze the pulp to extract as much juice as possible.
3. Massage the juice into your hair and scalp and let it sit for 30-45 minutes.
4. Rinse the juice off your hair using your shampoo.
Tips On How To Strengthen Weak Hair
Avoid Chemical Treatments
As we mentioned earlier, chemicals are damaging to your hair. Over-processing your hair with chemicals is likely to make it damaged and weak.
Consume Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega 3 fatty acids help in promoting hair growth. Regular consumption of omega-3s will ensure thickening of hair and regrowth. Consume them as a supplement, or eat seafood that is rich in the fatty acids.
Consume Fresh Fruits And Vegetables
Consume fresh fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins and antioxidants, which help fight free radicals that cause damage to your hair.
Avoid Heat Styling Tooks
The cuticles protect your hair and keep it healthy. Putting your hair through excessive heat can damage the cuticles and ruin the texture of your hair, making it prone to breakage, frizz, and split ends.
Maintaining a healthy diet is crucial for strong hair growth. Consume the recommended portions of vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, and water.