Smelly armpits may make you self-conscious, even though this is a problem most people have dealt with before. Commonly known as body odor and technically as bromhidrosis, malodorous armpits usually aren’t cause for concern. There are two main kinds of sweat glands: eccrine and apocrine. If you wish to permanently reduce the odour of your armpits, here are certain home remedies that you can try.
So what causes smelly underarms? When you perspire, the apocrine glands (sweat glands) in your armpit produce sweat high in protein. When bacteria present on your skin breaks down this sweat into acids, it results in an unpleasant smell which is the body odor. Your genetic makeup, diet, and hygiene also decide the kind of smell your body emanates.
- To neutralise your armpits’ environment, you can apply apple cider vinegar in the area regularly.
- Mix 4-5 drops of lavender oil in a glass of water and pour the mixture in a spray bottle. Spray the liquid on your underarms twice a day to permanently reduce the stinky odour of your underarms.
- Applying baking soda on your underarms can keep the area dry and avoid too much sweating.
- Lemon juice can apply in the area regularly.
- Gently rub diluted alcohol on your underarms to close opened pores and get rid of the perspiration that causes that unbearable odor.
- Make a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water. The antiseptic properties of hydrogen peroxide help neutralize unpleasant body odor.
- Sandalwood powder is an effective solution to deal with underarm odor.
- The anti-bacterial properties found in tea tree oil is a good solution for dealing with armpit smell and smothering odor-causing bacteria.
- Aloe Vera gel can reduce the foul smell and kill bacteria responsible for smelly underarms.
- Turnip juice contains anti-bacterial properties that help in terminating the odor-causing bacteria.