Can you imagine festivals or weddings without Puranpoli? This classic candy is a favorite across the country, called by different names and made with minor variations. If a month goes by without special occasions, then people even go ahead and make it a Sunday feast for no reason! For those of you who love this traditional delicacy so much, here is a version suitable for diabetics made of sugar substitute and minimal ghee. Chana Dal, with its low glycemic index, is still a good food for diabetics, just like whole wheat flour loaded with fibers. All in all, it’s a real treat for your mind and body. The waste that is there when the sides are cut from the circle can be collected and used later to make Rotis.
Soaking time: 2 hours Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes Makes 4 puranpolis
For The Dough
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
2 tbsp low-fat milk , 99.7% fat-free
1/2 tsp oil
For The Filling
1/2 cup chana dal (split bengal gram)
1 tbsp sugar substitute
2 1/2 tsp readymade milk masala powder
whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta) for rolling
1 tsp ghee for cooking
For the dough
- Mix all the ingredients and knead in a soft dough using enough water.
- Cover the dough with a lid and set aside 15 minutes.
For the filling
- Clean, wash and soak the chana dal insufficient hot water for 2 hours.
- Take water out of soaked chana dal, add half a cup of water and cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
- Let the steam escape before opening the lid.
- Lightly crush the cooked dal, add the sugar substitute, masala milk powder and mix well.
- Divide the stuffing into 4 equal portions and set aside.
How to proceed
- Divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll 2 portions in 100 mm. in diameter.
- Place 1 circle on a clean, dry surface, place part of the filling on top of the circle in the center.
- Cover it with another rolled circle and remove the edges using a pizza cutter. Roll again in 100 mm. . (4 ”) in diameter.
- Heat a non-stick tava (hot plate) and cook over medium heat, using ¼ tsp. Ghee, until it turns light brown on both sides.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5 to make 3 additional puranpolis.
- Serve immediately.
|Value per puranpoli||% Daily Values|
|Vitamin A||67.4 mcg||1%|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||0.2 mg||20%|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.1 mg||9%|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||1.7 mg||14%|
|Vitamin C||0.3 mg||1%|
|Vitamin E||0.2 mg||1%|
|Folic Acid (Vitamin B9)||45.6 mcg||23%|