Cold sores can be super annoying. It’s not just that they irritate and feels itchy, they also gets into the way of our professional as well as dating life. They create an unwanted social stigma which affects everything. They come in the way of our photographs ans stuff. But thank god, there are ways to control these cold sores. In general, they heal on their own in seven to fourteen days. But there are variety of things you can use to speed up the process of healing.
WHAT CAUSES COLD SORES?
People usually contract HSV–1 through small cuts in their skin as a result of contact with the cold sore fluid of an infected person such as by kissing or sharing personal items even shaking hands. However, it can also be acquired when the carrier has no symptoms. Some people suffer recurrent infections: After the initial manifestation, the virus lies latent in nerves and may re-emerge in times of stress or in response to, for example, dental surgery, hormonal changes, medications, and even allergies.
HOW TO AVOID GETTING OR SPREADING COLD SORES
- Avoid direct skin contact (including sexual) with people who have visible blisters.
- Don’t shake hands, either.
- Don’t share eating utensils, toothbrushes, towels, makeup (ever).
- Wash your hands often, especially before touching a baby, a frail elder, or a sick person.
- Wash your hands carefully (always) before handling food, dinnerware, or serving utensils.
- To prevent spreading the virus to another part of your body, wash thoroughly if your hands have come in contact with your cold sore.
How to Get Rid of a Cold Sore Quickly
- Monolaurin, long an ingredient in foods and body-care products, is a natural constituent of coconut oil and so deemed safe. As a supplement, it can be helpful for preventing frequent outbreaks; work with your physician to develop the proper dosing strategy and monitor your progress while you take it.
- Stress reduction/management such as exercise, getting out into natural settings, and meditation may help keep cold sores at bay.
- An ice pack applied directly to the lesions may lessen pain.
- Zinc oxide ointment applied topically at the first sensations of an impending outbreak may shorten its duration and lessen the symptoms.
- Salve or lip balm containing at least 1 percent lemon balm may provide symptomatic relief.
- Sunscreen applied liberally to the face and around and on lips before going outside may help.
- Research shows that topical application aloe vera gel may alleviate symptoms and shorten the duration of genital herpes lesions.
While home remedies like aloe vera and ice cubes might provide temporary relief from the pain and discomfort a cold sore can produce, home remedies aren’t scientifically proven to speed up the cold sore healing process.