This healthy and filling soup filled with pasta is rich in flavor and pesto.
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 8 tbsp. chicken stock
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 large piece of parmesan crust
- 1 can (15.5 ounces) dark kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1/4 tsp. 1/2 tsp ground red peppers
- 1 pkg. (9 ounces) fresh four cheese tortellini
- 1 kale bunch, leaves torn and stems discarded
- 2 tbsp. prepared pesto, and more for serving
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Cut off the pointed end of the garlic exposing the cloves. Place on a piece of aluminum foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil; wrap tightly. Bake until tender, 35 to 40 minutes; Let cool. Squeeze the pulp from the garlic and crush it into a paste; Reserve.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the chicken broth, chicken breast and Parmesan zest. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer, until chicken is cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove the chicken and grate it with two forks; return to the pot.
- Stir in beans, carrots, red pepper and 2 tablespoons of reserved crushed garlic. Simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Uncover and incorporate the tortellini. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in kale and cook until pasta is cooked through and cabbage is tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and discard the parmesan zest. Stir in 2 tablespoons of pesto. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot with additional pesto.