Yoga is amazing. It helps you find balance in your world, physically, mentally, and emotionally. By teaching us to embrace each moment and live life one breath at a time, yoga lets us better connect with ourselves and our partner—spiritually, physically, and yes, even sexually.
Great sex is one of the ultimate mind-body experiences. So is great yoga. Not only is yoga an amazing stress reliever, but certain postures improve flexibility, increase blood flow, and open your heart—all of which are necessary for a hot sex life.
Cat Pose (Marjaryasana) and Cow Pose (Bitilasana)
Often performed together, these poses help you loosen up the spine and relax. This helps lower your overall stress levels and makes it easier to get into the mood.
- Start this pose on all fours. Make sure your wrists are underneath your shoulders and your knees are in line with your hips. Keep your spine neutral and your weight balanced evenly across your body.
- Inhale as you look up and let your stomach curve toward the floor. Lift your eyes, chin, and chest up as you stretch.
- Exhale, tucking your chin into your chest, and draw your navel toward your spine. Round your spine toward the ceiling.
- Move slowly between the two for 1 minute.
Bound Angle Pose
- Bring soles together, bending knees and allowing them to drop towards floor.
- Hold onto toes with both hands. Inhale, lengthen torso. Exhale, hinge forward from hips. Aim is to lower head towards toes. This pose can also be done lying flat on your back in a reclined position.
- Hold pose for 10 breaths.
Benefits: Bound Angle is great for low libido, stretching the inner thighs and opening the hips for a wider range of motion. In this pose, people often shed layers of anxiety and tend to feel a natural openness and sense of intimacy.
It improves blood flow to the pelvic area immediately, and where the blood goes, so does the energy and vitality. Circulation and increased blood flow are directly linked to level of arousal.
Happy Baby (Ananda Balasana)
A popular relaxation pose, this pose stretches your glutes and lower back. Plus, it doubles as a variation of missionary position. To try it in bed, start in missionary position with your partner on top, and then extend your legs and wrap them around your partner’s torso.
- Lie on your back.
- With an exhale, bend your knees up toward your stomach.
- Inhale and reach up to grab the outside of your feet, and then widen your knees. You can also use a belt or towel looped over your foot to make it easier.
- Flex your feet, pushing your heels upward as you pull down with your hands to stretch.
Bridge Pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana)
This pose helps strengthen your pelvic floor. Strengthening these muscles helps reduce pain during sex and can even make the good stuff, well, better.
- Lie on your back.
- Bend both knees and position your feet hip-width apart with your knees in line with your ankles.
- Put your arms flat on the floor with your palms against the ground and spread your fingers.
- Lift your pelvic region off the ground, allowing your torso to follow, but keep your shoulders and head on the floor.
- Hold the pose for 5 seconds.