Bay Leaf, is used to impart a characteristic flavor in various cuisines. It gives a warm, peppery, clove-cinnamon like flavor to food. Add bay leaves to your soup stocks, curries, rice dishes and other delicacies to make the most of the herb. Not only does it impart strong flavour to dishes, but also ensures delivering certain health benefits that cannot go unnoticed.
- Bay leaves reduce toxicity in the body and produce a strong effect on digestion. The leaves contain organic compounds that help in an upset stomach. The leaves possess a few unique enzymes that help the body digest complex proteins easily.
- Tejpatta is beneficial for diabetes as it helps to manage blood glucose levels by enhancing insulin secretion due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity.
- Organic compounds including caffeic acid and rutin that are found in bay leaves enhance our heart health.
- In order to manage stress better, add more bay leaves to your diet. The presence of linalool can lower the level of stress hormones in the body. These leaves help you calm down and combat symptoms of depression.
- Bay leaves contain parthenolid, which is a unique phyto-nutrient, that decreases inflammation in the body.
- Tejpatta is an effective herb for managing common cold. It controls cough, releases mucus and clears the air passages, thus allowing the patient to breathe freely. It also controls frequent sneezing.
- Tejpatta helps to balance Kapha and Vata dosha. It helps to remove excessive mucus from the lungs by melting it due to its Ushna (hot) property. This helps in reducing the symptoms of asthma.
- Tejpatta might lower the level of blood sugar. So it might interfere with blood sugar levels before and after any surgical operations. So, it is generally advisable to avoid the use of Tejpatta at least 2 weeks before surgery.
- Tejpatta may cause irritation to the skin. So it is generally advisable to consume Tejpatta in low doses.
- It is generally advisable to consult your doctor before taking Tejpatta during pregnancy.
So, the next time you use tej patta or bay leaves, use it not just for flavor; think of all the health benefits and medicinal properties this herb has.